Sunday, April 15, 2018

Barefoot in the Spring

All winter long I've kept my feet
Laced up in shoes all tight and neat
But now that spring has come at last
I'm going back to nature fast!

I took off my shoes yesterday
And wandered barefoot on my way;
Across the green fields and meadowland,
Down by the river in the sand.

Wee tiny puffs of dust arose
Between my happy wriggling toes
As over the fresh plowed earth I raced
And left my footprints clearly traced.

From now on, when I get the chance,
I'll throw away my shoes and dance ~
For nothing else can make me sing
Like going barefoot in the Spring.
By a Carmelite Nun

Published with the kind permission of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Rochester, NY
Share

5 comments:

May said...

These little poems are lovely! Thank you.

elena maria vidal said...

I was delighted when the sisters offered to share the poems with me.

Wendy Haught said...

Wonderful, wonderful poems. I'm going to copy them into my notebook. The artwork you chose to go with them is perfect.

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you so much, Wendy!

inês said...

this poem is just amazing, thank you so much for allowing me to have a chance to read it!