Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Agatha Christie's Home

From Madame Guillotine:
After quite a few years of hopeless longing, I finally managed to visit Agatha Christie’s holiday home Greenway last week and it was every bit as magical as I could ever have anticipated. I’ve been a huge fan of Christie, or Mrs Mallowan as she was known to the locals of Greenway, for literally almost as long as I can remember. My grandparents discouraged me from reading children’s books but everything else was fair game, including my mother’s collection of vintage Agatha Christie novels, which I absolutely devoured when I was about eight years old. My favourite then was Death on the Nile and in fact that still remains one of my favourites to this day, although it’s been mostly surpassed by her Miss Marple books.

Although Greenway, which rests on a hill overlooking the river Dart in Devon, was not Agatha Christie’s principal residence, it is the one that is most irresistibly connected with her as it was here that she retired every summer after finishing her latest book and here too that she played hostess at house parties and celebrated birthdays and Christmases. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: